Thursday, February 14, 2013

In Class Activity 12/14

Question 2:
In the New Yorker's article "Why Cheney and Boehner Don't Think that Obama is Brave", I believe there is a creation of simulated argument. The author presents arguments from both Boehner and Cheney about why Obama should not be in office, but there is no agreement in argument. Boehner and Cheney each have their own ideas. Also, there was no combative argument from members of the Democratic Party in the article. There is no defense for President Obama and therefore no actual argument, rather a statement of opinions from one biased party about another biased party.

Question 3:
Dick Cheney quite obviously violates the usage rule when he is quoted saying "I think the President’s performance, by my standards, in the international arena, the Middle East and so forth, is worse than many of my friends and colleagues deem his domestic policies.” His use of the phrase "by my standards" is vague, unclear, and biased through his opinion. There is no set standards listed to evaluate the performance of the President, so Cheney's use of "by my standards" is not only biased and vague, it is incomparable to anything that might be non-biased.

Question 4:
I don't believe the article I chose has any ideographs in the text. While it does have many key terms with which most of the audience would be familiar, there are no terms acting to inspire familiar association of the audience or that carries ideological assumptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment